Al-Kyro

A reader of books, a fighter in the ring, a soldier in the field, a father of two. Love politics but read too many books, fought too many people, and soldiered in too many fields to get political. Lover of Catholic Culture and look with awe on the greatness of all that we have received.

Name:
Location: Owatonna, Minnesota, United States

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Swiss Guard......

Scanning around some other blogs and news sites has brought to my attention the tradition of the Swiss Guard. Ive had mixed feelings about them for some time. I greatly admire the tradition, honor, and high vocation to which they are called.............However, as I watched the funeral of Pope John Paul II the Great, I was aghast at the honor guard. Im sure that anyone with any military background saw the same things I did......poor drill and ceremony with continuous out of step marching. I hate to be a stickler, but I think the sloppiness was evident to anybody who has been through any sort of regimented military training........as I result, I get to my point.
Some of my musings about on here are about Martial Arts. I currently do some private grappling training with some different local police officers. These are guys who are looking to learn defenses against chokes and locks applied by a skilled person. Ive got officers from 3 different departments that Im working with. Could almost incorporate as a side business, and I should, just so...............I can drop a cover letter and proposal to whoever is the Swiss Guards training officer. I would love to get one of those Euro-sissies on the mat and have him crying "*sniff sniff*mamma mia!" That slovenly display of basic D&C in front of the whole world put these guys on my list. That being said, it is because of the tradition, the honor, and the heroism of the past that Im on their case. If this doesnt draw a comment, I think I must only be writing to myself.

5 Comments:

Blogger monster said...

Kyro: perhaps in those costumes some SGs fail to take their job seriously.

My copy of Gilbert Mag arrived in the mail yesterday. I look forward to reading your column tonight.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Chestertonian said...

When I was in Rome for the canonization of St. Josemaria Escriva, the Swiss Guards were all spit and polish, locked & loaded, and as a former Marine I know how to look for flaws too. Heck, after standing at parade rest for a 2-hour Mass in the hot sun, I know I'd have a hard time staying in step.

Also, when I saw them up close, they were all 7 feet or more tall. Not exactly Euro-sissies. ;-)

Hiwa doin' Kyro? This is your friendly neighborhood GM editor.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Hans Lundahl said...

where did i find a RC priest's call to be catholic blog? links are welcomed, i was interrupted when trying to make a comment on it

5:31 AM  
Blogger Maolsheachlann said...

I greatly object to your libel of us Europeans as cissies. You have to remember what all those centuries of internecine strife, two world wars and relentless opera does to a civilisation. Those Swiss Guard members might have been suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder or agoraphobia or something. Now excuse me, I have to go on my fourth teabreak of the day, and I've just noticed that the spacebar on my keyboard is loose....must report that to the health and safety department of HR...don't want a nasty accident.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Hans-Georg Lundahl said...

"poor drill and ceremony with continuous out of step marching."

Can it have been because they were burying a priest? Marching out of step as part of Vatican's mourning ritual? When soldiers bury soldiers, it is of course a purely military burial and that is not quite the same thing.

In the same country, maybe a little further down, being unshaven and letting fingernails grow is called "sordes" and is very much part of the mourning ritual.

Have you read Charles A. Coulombe's article on the matter?

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home